It’s Friday again! And you know what else it is? The last day in May, which means that I’m off of work for 2 glorious months. Part of the beauty of being an athletic trainer is being on a 10 month contract, which gives me most of my summer free! Can’t complain, especially when it’s sunny and in the 90’s here today. Hello summer!
Now that I’ve made you all insanely jealous, let’s get into some other random Friday thoughts, shall we?
1. A while ago (I’m talking months and months ago), I registered for an obstacle race called the Superhero Scramble. After doing a couple of mud runs/Warrior Dash previously, I’ve realized that the only way I enjoy running is when there are life threatening obstacles along the way. You know, fire pits and the like. So anyway, I registered for this race thinking “Ah, it’s in June, I’ll start running a little before then”. Guess what? The race is next weekend. Guess what else? I don’t run. It’s a 4 mile race and literally the only running I’ve done for the past year or so is at the stadium once or twice per week. Flat ground running? Once, when we did 400m repeats instead of stadiums one week. That’s it. 4 miles could get pretty interesting, especially since I’m at the point now where it’s too close to the race to really do any type of “training” for it. I guess I’ll just wing it, and hopefully entertain all of you with the hilarity of me running 4+ miles.
2. My gym is closing for renovations in about a week. For a month. This means no weight room, no battling ropes, nothing. I’m trying to decide whether I’ll get a month at the Y, or just go straight up ninja conditioning for a month. I’m kind of leaning toward the latter, just for fun. I don’t want to leave the weight room for a month, but it might give my body a good break? I don’t know, but going back to #1, I also have a Spartan Race in August, so it might not be a bad thing to focus on conditioning a little bit more for a little while. Since when do I sign up for multiple races, anyway? I don’t even know myself anymore.
3. It’s 90 something degrees here today. I’m running stadiums because the thought of actual running in this heat makes me want to dry heave. At least with stadiums I can stash a water bottle every few sections.. can’t really do that on a running route. Why am I talking so much about running?
4. I’m really craving some fro yo right now. Maybe that’ll be lunch. That’s an acceptable lunch when it’s 90+ degrees and humid, right? BerryLine, I’m coming for ya!
5. Totally unrelated to anything this blog is about: I just finished reading A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (author of The Kite Runner). Holy tear-fest, it was good. If you haven’t read it, I highly recommend it, although be careful because it may reduce you to a blubbering mess which can become quite uncomfortable if you choose to read it on your train ride to work. I know from personal experience.
That’s all I got for ya. Go be awesome this weekend.