I’ve been on a banana craze lately.
They’ve taken over my life.
Granted, I’ve been using them mostly as a dessert ingredient, but I guess there are worse things to have for dessert, no? Today, I share with you, the top 5 ways to eat a banana. And they may or may not be all desserts.
Sorry I’m not sorry.
1. Smudgies – I found these on Pinterest and it seriously changed my life. Basically, you mash up a ripe banana with some peanut butter, slap it between some graham cracker squares, and pop them in the freezer. I dare you to wait until they’re actually frozen. They’re a highly addicting, healthier version of an ice cream sandwich. Yes please!
2. Banana “Fro-Yo” – This type of recipe has been floating around the internet quite a bit lately, but I particularly got the idea from Justine over at Life With Cheeseburgers. I read her post about it, and obviously whipped out the food processor later that night. I followed Justine’s instructions, but also added in a dollop of plain greek yogurt to add a little thickness/creaminess, and it was delicious! Will even loved it so much that he asked me to make a second batch, immediately following the first, in a different flavor. Thus, cherry-chocolate banana fro-yo was born, and I’ve been ruined forever.
And Banana-Cherry-Chocolate fro-yo. YUM!
Well, that is, until I burned out the motor on my food processor trying to make coconut butter… and I’ve been fro-yo-less ever since. Oh, the horror.
3. Banana Nutella Bites – The lazy man’s dessert. Chop up a banana into 1 inch pieces, top each one with a small dollop of Nutella and a sprinkling of coconut. Enjoy. Thank me later, after you wipe that smear of Nutella off your chin.
4. Pancake Topper- Chelsea’s coconut-almond-flour pancakes remain one of my favorite pancakes ever since the first time I made them last spring. And the banana-almond sauce to drizzle on top of them? Oh. My. God. To die for. If you haven’t tried this yet, shame on you. I would show you a picture but I always eat mine too fast to stop and get the camera out. I also don’t blame you if the sauce never makes it to the pancakes. It’s totally acceptable to scrape it straight out of the bowl with your fingers. I promise.
5. Compost Bowl – Sounds gross, tastes great. This is actually, truly the lazy man’s dessert. Number 3 above might have to be the classy-lazy-man’s dessert instead. For this one, mash up a banana in a bowl, add in a handful of oats, a splash of almond milk, some coconut, and whatever else you feel like throwing into the mix. Spoonful of greek yogurt? Sure! A few chocolate chips or a bit of peanut/almond butter? Only if you’re feeling fancy. Fresh blueberries? why not?! Some graham cracker crumbles would also be divine, I’m sure.
Mix it all up, shovel it all in. Delightful.
And there you have it, my top 5 favorite ways to eat a banana. Of course, you could always to the expected route and just eat it plain, in a smoothie, or with a little bit of peanut butter, but using them in one of these delicious creations instead will only make your life better.
Happy Wednesday, and Happy Eating!
What’s your favorite way to eat a banana? Do you have any go-to ideas for bananas that are over-ripe? Have you made banana fro-yo yet?